Babel, Tower of
We have reconstructed the Tower of Babel and it is a television antenna, a thousand voices producing a daily parody of democracy in which everyone’s opinion is afforded equal weight regardless of substance or merit. Indeed, it can even be argued that opinions of real weight tend to sink with barely a trace in television’s ocean of banalities.
–Vanna White and the Ten Commandments, Ted Koppel, 1987 Commencement Address at Duke University
Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment.
– The Problem of Pain, C. S. Lewis, Page 49
I have lived, sir, a long time; and the longer I live , the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men! And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, sir, in the sacred writings, that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel: we shall be divided by our partial local interest, our projects will be confounded and we ourselves shall become a reproach and a byword to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter, from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing government by human wisdom, and leave it to chance, war and conquest.
– Benjamin Franklin: An American Life, Walter Isaacson pages 362-363
Quoted in An American Gospel, Jon Meacham, page 89
Don’t read the Bible. Study it. Digest it. Memorize it and realize God’s greatest gift to our time on earth is His Word made flesh living in our hearts through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
– It’s Better to Build Boys than Mend Men, S. Truett Cathy, Page 114
Above the fray of human perspective and changing opinions, the Bible presents the mind of God and eternal truth.
–The 21 Toughest Questions Your Kids Will Ask About Christianity, Alex McFarland, Page 162
The most intimate knowledge of God is possible on one condition—that we search His Holy Scriptures, prayerfully and habitually,
George Müller of Bristol and His Witness to a Prayer-Hearing God , Arthur T. Pierson, Kindle Edition, Locations 532-533
Don’t settle only for spiritual food that’s been “predigested” by others. Experience the joy of discovering biblical insights firsthand through your own Bible study.
–Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, Donald S. Whitney, Page 35
Bible Study Tips
Here are some examples of application-oriented questions that can help you become a doer of God’s Word
- Does this text reveal something I should believe about God?
- Does this text reveal something I should praise or thank or trust God for?
- Does this text reveal something I should pray about for myself or others?
- Does this text reveal something I should have a new attitude about?
- Does this text reveal something I should make a decision about?
- Does this text reveal something I should do for the sake of Christ, others, or myself
– Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, Donald S. Whitney, pages 74-75