FREE! An expanded version of my writing mission statement, Why Write, Lord? (PDF format), is now available.
Scads of writers flood publishers with streams of book ideas. Before I add my work to the flow, I need to examine my motives as a writer. Why should I write? Is there a purpose beyond fame or fortune? Can I find a mission statement that will motivate and sustain me in the long hours at my desk?
God’s book, The Bible, remains a best-seller thousands of years after its completion and He is sold in more languages than any other author. His reasons for writing can become a mission statement for any Christian writer. What are those reasons?
- God writes to instruct.
- God writes to give guidance.
- God writes to honor memories.
- God writes to preserve history.
- God writes to create accurate records.
- God writes to call us to action.
- God writes to provide a foundation.
I compiled a list of boundaries to place around my writing:
- I will be deliberate in learning the craft.
- God is to be honored in whatever I write.
- Writing should drive me closer to God.
- I will use my experience, skills, and insights to benefit others.
- I will aim to challenge and feed my readers.
- I want to know God will take care of me in the circumstances of life.
“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33 (NASB)
- My prayer will be that of Jabez – that God would enlarge my border according to His plan.
Now Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!” And God granted him what he requested. I Chronicles 4:10 (NASB)
What will I write? Reviewing the reasons God had for writing His Word, I see a panorama of opportunities.
- I can write to instruct
- I can write to offer guidance
- I can write to honor memories
- I can write to preserve history
- I can write to create accurate records
- I can write to motivate others to action
- I can write to share and explain my faith